Standoff outside Arrowhead ends, gunman in custody

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) – A standoff outside Arrowhead Stadium that lasted more than six hours has ended and an armed man has been taken into custody.

Officers were called to the stadium around 10:30 a.m. and arrived to find a man firing shots, as well as one person who had been shot at but wasn’t injured.

Police were able to move some employees to safety, along with the original victim.

Negotiations with the armed man, who police believe was having a mental crisis, were difficult and were not going anywhere according to police.

By 6 p.m., a plan was devised to use less-lethal munitions to take the suspect into custody. That plan was successful and police say there are no injuries to report.

Police said the man was evaluated at the scene and will be booked into jail on criminal charges associated with the shooting.

They recovered two guns and a knife from him at the scene.

Police said the man told them that he had never attended a Chiefs or Royals game. Currently, it is their understanding he is not associated with either team and has not ever worked at either stadium.

They have not yet determined if any of the multiple gunshots fired hit Arrowhead and damaged it or not. That will be determined as they continue investigating.

Previous coverage is below. Check and watch KCTV5 News at 10 p.m. for further updates.

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) — Police are involved in a standoff with a gunman who is currently in the Arrowhead parking lot.

Kansas City police posted a tweet Saturday afternoon stating that an operation 100 (standoff) is being conducted.

🚨ALERT🚨 avoid the parking lots at the Truman Sports complex; police and security have entrances locked down and the complex is CLOSED. Police investigating an armed person in the parking lot. THERE ARE NO EVENTS CURRENTLY HAPPENING AT EITHER STADIUM <a href=””>@Chiefs</a> <a href=””>@Royals</a> <a href=””>@MoDOT_KC</a>&mdash; kcpolice (@kcpolice) <a href=””>September 12, 2020</a>

All of the entrances have been locked down and the Truman Sports Complex is closed.

“We are currently conducting an operation 100 (stand off) with an armed party. We are in contact with a party who has fired shots at Arrowhead. He is currently in the parking lot. No one has been shot. The entire complex is shut down. There are currently no sporting events being held at the complex,” David Jackson with the Kansas City Police Department said.

Police said the gunman shot at employees but no one was hit or hurt.

UPDATE: As of 3:30 p.m., the situation remains essentially as it has been most of the day.

According to Jackson, the police believe this is a mental health crisis that ended up at Arrowhead rather than being connected to the sports complex. The police believe the man has no connection to the Chiefs or the Royals in any way, Jackson said.

They have not yet been able to confirm if anything was posted on social media by gunman prior to this incident.

Trained negotiators are at the scene trying to peacefully resolve the situation.

The police said the gunman “does have firearms,” but would not get into specifics. They said the guns have been “everywhere from out and pointed, to in his waistband.” It is a dynamic situation.

According to the Royals, their game that is set for tonight is still set to happen as scheduled unless they hear from police. At this time, as there are no fans at the stadium, they have not announced any changes yet.

5:30 p.m. UPDATE: The start of the Royals game has been delayed to 6:35 PM due to the nearby standoff at Arrowhead. Outside of that, the game is expected to carry on normally.

There have been no new developments or updates regarding the situation at Arrowhead.